venerdì 9 marzo 2018


March 8th,  2018 
It’s only after a while after waking up that I realize that today is March 8th. I had completely forgotten the “International Women’s Day”.
I have some thoughts on the topic and I exchange some opinions with Moses during our breakfast. I reach the unhappy conclusion that I couldn’t care less about this Day.
I have well clear in mind the reasons why UN acclaimed, years ago, March 8th to be the “International Women’s Day” and I compared these very important reasons with the meaning the Day has at present….
It’s so trivial now and so sad to call it the “Women’s Party Day”  
Here, in Uganda, I’ve seen and keep seeing women in the fields  bended all day to dig the soil that now has become soft tanks to the first rains. Most of the times having babies tied on their backs because they have no other places to leave them. They are rushing now because the rainy season is on. They have to sow maze  and beans so that the next rain will help to have abundant crops.
Others walk with heavy loads on their heads: some with firewood to be used to cook or jerry cans full of water for their household, others with plastic containers full of food to be sold on the sides of the roads
What I’m experiencing every single day here,  is hard to bear. And I ask myself: when the political leaders here and worldwide will realize how miserable  the living conditions of the majority of their women are? When, instead of wasting uselessly their finances will plan serious and valid programs to change the life of their women citizens and, therefore, of all citizens?
March 8th is not a day for parties, and not even the day when women who achieved a different status have to self-celebrate themselves. It must be, instead, a day when public money is spent to relieve women who live in poverty, women who cannot write and read, women who wear themselves off on the fields to make some little money to feed their families, women who are no longer women but slaves. They are slaves and are exploited non-stop by an immoral idea of society that has lost all its humanity


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento